Italian Chapel of the Assumption of Our Lady - Part of Clementinum, Karlova Street, Old Town
Part of Clementinum, Karlova Street, Old Town
The chapel, a simple Mannerist oval-shaped building with a dome, was built in 1590-97 by D. Bossi based on a plan by O. Mascarino for the Italians settled in Prague (hence the name Italian Chapel). Elliptical floor plan speaks of a great shift in thinking at that time – moving away from the rational Renaissance way of thinking which was reflected in round floor plans of Renaissance buildings into more sensual ways of thinking embraced by the Baroque style, symbolized by the more dynamic ellipse which looks different from each angle; thanks to this symbolism the Italian Chapel is one of the most important Renaissance buildings in Europe. The interior is furbished in Baroque style. The entrance porticus is by F. M. Kaňka (1715) with a beautiful wrought gate is also an entrance to the neighouring church of St. Clement. Exhibitions and concerts take place in the chapel.